Tuesday 26 August 2008

Invoking father's name 'appalling'

Singer responds to John Rich's appearance at McCain rally




NASHVILLE -- Rosanne Cash is timeworn of people using her late father's name to further their own political agenda.

"It is appalling to me that people still want to invoke my father's name, five geezerhood after his death, to ascribe beliefs, ideals, values and loyalties to him that cannot possibly be determined, and to try to farther their possess agendas by doing so," Cash said on her Web site.

The statement was released after country star John Rich invoked the name of Johnny Cash at a recent Florida rally for presidential candidate John McCain. According to media reports, Rich told the crowd: "Somebody's got to walk the line in the country. They've got to walk it unapologetically. And I'm sure Johnny Cash would hold been a John McCain supporter if he was still around."

Rich then panax quinquefolius Johnny Cash's "I Walk the Line."

"I knew my father pretty well, at least punter than some of those who entitle themselves to his bequest and his supposed ideals," Rosanne Cash said on her internet site, "and even I would not assume to say publicly what I 'know' he view or felt. This is especially serious in the case of political affiliation.

"It is unjust and assuming to use him to bolster any platform," she continued. "I would ask that my father not be co-opted in this election for either incline, since he is distinctly not here to fend for or state his possess allegiance."